BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'm new at this

Well, I know I'm a nurse and maybe should be better at this whole cast thing, but hey, I'm just not. Really, it's only the bathing thing I struggle with. Coop just lays around all day so he doesn't need to many baths, so we've only given him 3. First bath: covered the cast in a bread bag (how cute is it that his whole leg fit in the bag?) wrapped it real good at the top. Stood him in tub, gave him a good wash, rinsed, got him out took the bag off, cast got a little damp at the top. Let it air dry, we should be fine. Second bath: bread bag again, this time wrapped a towel around the top, same routine, take the bag off, oh, crap, bag has a whole, cast is pretty wet, get out the blow dryer. Third bath (tonight): new garbage bag and duct tape, same routine. This time as he is standing there I can tell there is a good seal at the top, I'm so proud of myself, I even let him play with the finger paints on the wall for a little bit as he stands there. Get him out, and as I look down I see that the bottom of the bag is literally filled with water a good 3 inches up. How Cooper gets around during the day is by crawling with his arms and good leg and he drags the bad one (my friend Emily and I call him tiny Tim). Well this has kind of filed down the front corner of his cast by his big toe so it is kind of sharp. Well this little corner cut a little whole in the bag, and his foot, and cast, got a good soak tonight. I wripped the bag, let his cast DRAIN, and then got out the trusty blow dryer again. Do I struggle or what?! Maybe I should go back to plan 1 where his cast just got a little damp.
On a side not as I sit here a single mom (Rob is out of town) I find joy in reading your blogs but have nothing to leave with you. In my predicament I'll leave you with a question that only some of you may be able to answer, and I hope it will bring a smile to your face if you know the answer. Today I was listening to good ole FM 100 and heard the song Fields of Gold, who does this remind me of (two people), initials only, to protect the innocent, and for a bonus point what were they doing in her memory? That's all for tonight folks, good night.

4 comments:

Lindsey Rose said...

Kristen, i don't know if you remember but I have had a good many casts in my day, and no matter how hard you try and seal it off, it still gets wet! Ahh! best advice I have is that you stuff a small wash cloth In the top first, then put the trashbag on and seal it off with duct tape! It works better than anything else, so good luck.

Veronica Reeve said...

Poor thing. Do you need some love and support? I'm only a phone call away. One call, that's all. So, Field's of Gold, I'm thinking LH and I'm thinking the theme of her 9th grade dance but that's all I got.

Kristen said...

LH is correct, who was she with though?

Libby said...

I think this LH may have been with BC at some sort of JRH function!